Emergency Medical Care
About Our Program
The EKU Emergency Medical Care Program is the longest-accredited Paramedic program in Kentucky, and has been providing outstanding education in pre-hospital emergency care since 1978. We offer well-established Associate of Science & Bachelor of Science degrees in Emergency Medical Care.
What Paramedics Do
Paramedics are healthcare providers and public safety officials who deliver critical patient care at the scene of injury and illness, and while transporting patients between healthcare facilities. Acting as physician extenders, Paramedics implement treatment protocols that provide bring the Emergency Department to the patient, wherever that patient is. Paramedics intubate....administer complex medications..... shock hearts....interpret blood gas measurements....program mechanical ventilators...deliver babies...cut people out of mangled vehicles...perform confined space and high-angle rescue...manage disaster scenes...and much, much more! Paramedics are specialists in providing "care in the street."
On-Campus Degree & Certificate Programs:
- EMC B.Sc. - Emergency Services Administration Option
- EMC B.Sc. - Clinical/Fire Service Option
- EMC B.Sc. - Paramedic Science Option
- A.S. Paramedicine (ASP)
- Paramedic to A.S. Paramedicine (ASP) Degree Program
- Minor in Emergency Medical Care
- Emergency Medical Technician Certification
Online Degree Programs
As a part of their course work, we provide our on-campus students with the opportunity to receive certifications in several specialty areas, including:
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS)
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS)
- Tactical Emergency Casuality Care (TECC)
Attending Our Program
The following links will take you to the most up-to-date information about admissions requirements and cost of attendance. For EMC students specifically, there are some additional costs beyond those listed on these pages such as uniforms, course materials, and professional liabiliy insurance. Our program makes funds available to assists students in need with meeting these additional costs.